Foolscap writing workshops take place Friday morning and afternoon. Workshop participation is free with your convention membership. However, space in the sessions is limited, so you must sign up in advance. To sign up, contact WritingWorkshop by Jan. 25, 2014, unless you wish the Script Workshop, which needs attention by January 20th!
The 2014 workshop lineup includes:
- “Fundamentals of Screenwriting” — led by John Lovett. You have an amazing idea for a movie, but don’t know how to write it? This course gives you the tools to structure your scenes, acts, and plot into a marketable script.
- “Moving Your Story from Idea to Finished Draft” — led by Cat Rambo, award-winning short story writer and teacher.
- “Setting: The Crossroads of Circumstance“ — led by Kat Richardson, author of the Greywalker urban fantasy series.
- A free-wheeling discussion/workshop with author Greg Bear (Eon, Forge of God, Blood Music, Hull Zero Three, Quantico) on genre, gender, class, and culture. The goal: To have attendees put their own work in a larger perspective and ask themselves who their readers might be, and what those readers might expect, or need.
- “Transforming your story or novel into a script” — special one-on-one sessions with screenwriter John Lovett.
AND in parallel:
Writing Workshop, Track 1 (15 students MAX):
9am: John Lovett: Fundamentals of Screenwriting
10:30am: Cat Rambo: Idea to First Draft
1pm: Kat Richardson: Setting and it’s effect on your Characters
2:30pm: Greg Bear: Who Should Your Readers Be?
Writing Workshop, Track 2: (4 students MAX)
John Lovett will be doing hour-long one-on-one sessions with writers who submit their short story by Jan. 25. There is a limit of 4 opportunities available. John will start at 11 a.m., take a lunch at noon, and wrap by 4 p.m. This runs in parallel with Track 1, so you’ll have to make some choices if you’re script bound!
Bring something you can write with (paper and pen, laptop computer, or clay tablet, according to your own distinctive style — be aware, though, that no power outlets are available in the seminar room).